PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO http://nyc.october22.org/|
This year's October 22nd National Day of Protest is taking place at 1PM at Union Square, followed by a march to Times Square.
This year's Stolen Lives Induction Ceremony is taking place on November 1st, 5PM, at St. Mary's Church. Download flyer here
Website for the Local Coordinating Committee of New York
The October 22 Coalition to Stop Police Brutality, Repression and the Criminalization of a Generation has been mobilizing every year since 1996 for a National Day of Protest on October 22, bringing together those under the gun and those not under the gun as a powerful voice to expose the epidemic of police brutality.
The Coalition also works on the Stolen Lives Project, which documents cases of killings by law enforcement nationwide. The second edition of the Stolen Lives book documents over 2000 cases in the 1990s alone. Volunteers are needed to help with the research and editing of cases since then. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
To contact the New York local coordinating committee of October 22 Coalition:
Voicemail/Fax: 866-235-7814 (toll-free)
For the National Office of October 22 Coalition:
Address for both: P.O. Box 2627, New York, NY 10009
Check out the October 22 Coalition-NY Youtube Channel
For the most updated information and for police-brutality-related upcoming events, like us on Facebook
DOCUMENTATION OF THE NATIONAL DAY OF PROTEST IN NYC:
(missing many albums due to photo site no longer existing)
- NDP 1998 coverage in The New York Times and The Daily News
- NDP 2002 coverage in Greenwich Village Gazette
- NDP 2004 coverage in The Final Call
- NDP 2005 report from Queerfist
- NDP 2006 video collage
- NDP 2009 photos, and video by Frankie Lopez of the Peace Poets
- NDP 2010 photos, and video by Carlos
- NDP 2011 photos, videos by an Occupy Wall Street protester, Copblock, and The Local East Village, and news coverage from
The Local East Village,
The Raw Story,
- NDP 2012 photos (Set 1), (Set 2), photo reporting by Javier Soriano, and news coverage from
The Uptown Collective.
Also see article in Amsterdam News leading into the protest date
- NDP 2013 photos 1, and news coverage from
RT News .
Also see press release, article in Alternet leading into the protest date, and the
video project to build for NDP-18 by Stop Mass Incarceration Network
STOLEN LIVES PROJECT LINKS:
(missing many years due to photo site no longer existing)
STOLEN LIVES DOCUMENTATION
- Online version of the second edition of the Stolen Lives book (national cases in the 1990s)
- Updated national documentation
- Download the flyer (pdf) of those killed by NYPD since Amadou Diallo
- Download the flyer (pdf) of those killed by NYPD since Sean Bell
STOLEN LIVES INDUCTION CEREMONIES
STOLEN LIVES VIGILS, COMMEMORATIONS, ACTIONS (mostly called for by Families of Stolen Lives)
For Nicholas Heyward, Jr., killed by NYPD in Brooklyn in 1995 (see website for foundation)
For Randy Weaver, killed by East Orange police in 1999
For Malcolm Ferguson, killed by NYPD in the Bronx in 2000
For Sean Bell, killed by NYPD in Queens in 2006
For Timur Person, killed by NYPD in the Bronx in 2006
For Kenny Lazo, killed by Suffolk County police in 2008 (see website for the Justice for Kenny Coalition)
For Jahqui Graham, killed by East Orange police in 2009
For Johnathan Smith, killed by NYPD in Brooklyn in 2011
For Ramarley Graham, killed by NYPD in the Bronx in 2012 (see website for Ramarley's Call)
For Shantel Davis, killed by NYPD in Brooklyn in 2012 (see website for Justice 4 Shantel)
Also, check out videos from the Forced Trajectory Project of ACD Media:
LINKS TO OTHER ORGANIZATIONS/STOLEN LIVES, etc.
Individual Stolen Lives:
- Kenneth Chamberlain Sr., killed by White Plains police in November 20011
- Shantel Davis, killed by NYPD in Brooklyn in June 2013
- Eric Garner, killed by NYPD in July 2014
- Ramarley Graham, killed by NYPD in the Bronx in February 2012
- Kimani Gray, killed by NYPD in Brooklyn in March 2013
- DJ Henry, killed by Mount Pleasant police in October 2010
- Nicholas Heyward, Jr., killed by a housing cop in Brooklyn in September 1994
- Kenny Lazo, killed by Suffolk County police in April 2008
- Kyam Livingston, killed by NYPD in Brooklyn in July 2013
To listen to, download and/or share the Voices Against Police Brutality Ch. 1: The National Mixtape, go to the O22 Bandcamp page. See photos from the launch party.
If you would like a copy of the Voices Against Police Brutality chapbook, please send a check or money order for $5.61 ($5 for the book, 61 cents for the postage) to P.O. Box 2627, New York, NY 10009.